Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Umi-Zoomi Cake

Hello all,

I recently did a Team Umi-Zoomi birthday cake for someone's daughter.


This was an interesting cake for me because I had never really worked with fondant before, so this was a first (well besides my ACF cake) but this was FOR someone who was PAYING me. 
I made marshmallow fondant because of the taste and because it is way easier to make than regular fondant! 

I started with making the characters, Milli, Bot, and Geo. They ended up coming out pretty accurately. And I realized that the green guy (without eyes and a mouth) could be made into a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle, which I thought was awesome for future reference. 

Once I had my little people made, I continued on with decorating the cake: 
For this, I added a ruler across the bottom of the cake, as a border, and I added shapes to the sides to give the cake some texture and visual interest (and because Umi-Zoomi is all about shapes).
The shapes and the ruler came out WAY better than I could have imagined. I was beyond excited with how they turned out. So then, I moved on to the top of the cake: 
I added Milli, Bot, and Geo to the top of the cake and then had to write Happy Birthday Sophia on it..like so:


I was definitely quite proud of how this cake turned out. It was a lot of fun and I really enjoyed being able to make a cake that made a little girl's birthday that much more special! 


-B

No comments:

Post a Comment